Local Market Report
(there is no national real estate market)
The market index decreased seasonally to 2.0 months supply from last month's 2.3. You will recall that in recent years, September has been the worst month for home sellers. This has become the new normal for market seasonality.
Washington DC and Loudoun County are tied at 1.7 months supply; and Montgomery County and Northern Virginia are tied at 2.0. Most of the market improvement resulted from an 11% drop in the number of homes for sale, rather than the 2% increase in homes sold compared to last month. The market should improve for sellers until March or April 2018.
* * *
The report above is prepared monthly from David's independent research for his clients. It does not contain important data for macro-economists, is not tailored for a TV audience, includes no national data, and is not prepared by the computer weenies at the MLS. Click this link to learn how this report is prepared and why it is the best available anywhere! Raw data is available on request for any month, 1990 to present.
(1) Market Index (Months Supply of Resale Homes): Below 1.5 is a hot sellers' market; 1.5 to 3.0 is a (normal) sellers' market; 3.0 to 5.0 is a neutral market; above 5.0 is a buyers' market. Months Supply measures the ratio of sellers to buyers.
(2) Northern Virginia: Alexandria, Arlington County, and Fairfax County.
(3) Results are not seasonally adjusted.
Your Friend in Real Estate, LLC
Arlington, Virginia, USA
* Copyright © David Rathgeber *
* * All rights reserved. * *
* * * 2017 * * *